Re: [Xen-users] Staying free / opensource after Citrix?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Staying free / opensource after Citrix?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 03:59:53 +0000
Cc: hanasaki jiji <hanasaki@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:00:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Will XEN stay free and open source now that its a Citrix company?

There's enough Linux GPL code and code from external contributors that lots of
the Xen code can't just be closed by Citrix.  Apparently a "Xen Foundation"
is being set up to deal with the open source side of the project.  Ian Pratt
will be the first to head up the Foundation.

I can't personally say what exactly that'll mean for the open source version
but there are at least plans that open source development continues.  Time
will tell us exactly how this will work and what Citrix / Xensource will do
with the project.

Cheers,
Mark

> What is the roadmap for what features and timeline will be in the
> opensource version vs commercial offerings from citrix?

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!