Re: [Xen-users] 64 bit compatibility with phys to virt conversion

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 64 bit compatibility with phys to virt conversion
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 03:44:25 +0000
Cc: Geoff Kirk <geoff.k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marco Strullato <marco.strullato@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:45:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> As far as i am aware 32bit domU on 64bit dom0 should be possible as of
> Xen 3.1.0 how it has to be setup to work i have no idea hopefully
> someone else can clarify that side of it.

Yes, it's possible so long as the 32-bit guest uses PAE.

> > name = "SERVER"
> > memory = "1024"
> > disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VMVG/BOG,sda,w', ]
> > kernel = "vmlinux-2.4.21-47.0.1.EL.xs0.4.0.25xenU"
> > ramdisk = "initrd-2.4.21-47.0.1.EL.xs0.4.0.25xenU.img"
> > vif = ['bridge=xenbr0' ]
> > vfb = ["type=vnc,vncunused=1"]
> > bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
> > vcpus=1
> > on_reboot   = 'restart'
> > on_crash    = 'restart'
> >
> > I have this error
> >
> > ERROR: Kernel not a Xen-compatible Elf image.
> > ERROR: Error constructing guest OS

Where did you get the vmlinux and initrd described above from?  Also, it's
kinda weird to specify both kernel/ramdisk= and a bootloader=...  Are you
intending to use those specific kernels from dom0 or are you trying to bot
via pygrub...

Are there any clues in /var/log/xen/xend.log or /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log?
I'd guess not, but it might be worth a check ;-)

Finally, if you are using pygrub do check that you're booting the *right*
kernel image from your guest.  Start the guest with "xm create -c" so you get
the console.  When the pygrub screen comes up, make sure you select the
Xen-aware kernel before booting!

Finally, if you can't get PV to work, if you have HVM-capable hardware you
could probably just fully virtualise this machine.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!