Re: [Xen-users] Recommended partitioning for xen host

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Recommended partitioning for xen host
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 03:40:30 +0000
Cc: Geoff Kirk <geoff.k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, john maclean <jayeola@xxxxxxxxx>, Artur Linhart - Linux communication <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:41:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
By the way, consider how you're going to partition the guests too...  Some
distros like to default to using LVM when they install these days.  That's
fine and it can help you get some extra functionality in the guest.  However,
you'll find it more straightforward to mount the guest FS from dom0 (if you
need to) if you just use straight partitions in the guest.

Note that you can still use LVM in dom0 to store the domains virtual disks, so
you still get the benefits of (one layer of) LVM.

Cheers,
Mark

On Monday 26 November 2007, Geoff Kirk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There shouldn't be anything special about partitioning for Xen just
> plenty of space for the guests you want to run. What you have planned
> sounds sensible enough. Usualy the main consideration is can the box
> handle all the work of all guests it will be running. Swap might be a
> little excessive for dom0. I usualy go with same amount of ram as i
> allocate to dom0 using dom0_mem as i would with any physical  system.
> 5gig for root is more than plenty to run xen.
>
> Geoff.
>
> Josh wrote:
> > Is there a recommended partitioning for dom0?
> >
> > Here's what I have planned.
> > /swap   2GB
> > /boot   100MB (ext3)
> > /       5GB (ext3)
> >
> > xenmachines  LVM volume group for the remaining diskspace
> >
> > dom0 will install in 5GB / and each domU will have a swap and root
> > logical volume in "xenmachines"
> >
> > Thank you,

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!