Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualised gentoo on Fedora Core 7

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualised gentoo on Fedora Core 7
From: Andris <andris@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:40:29 +0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:41:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
>> Tank you for answer,
>>
>> I got some basic understanding...
>>
>> Yes indeed I hadn't compiled a framebuffer support into my gentoo kernel.
>> I added xen fb an console fb support and modified grub with
>> video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:0 vga=0x311  (nothing know about mttr value :) )
>>

> You shouldn't need the vga= line for a paravirtualised kernel.  My kernel is
> configured with video= set to "video=xenfb" to tell it explicitly to use the
> Xen Framebuffer.  There isn't a vesa framebuffer available to a paravirt
> guest.
>

>> Now I am able to get vnc  screen at boot startup, but just till "Freeing
>> unused kernel memory" line, further nothing... console hangs. At the same
>> time DomU is still alive and booted. I can ssh into it. Something missed to
>> add to kernel?
>>

> I wanted to make sure that would work first!  Now we need to add to it...
>
> Add "console=tty1" to your kernel command line.  This should tell the OS to
> output boot console output to tty1, which should display on the framebuffer
> console.
>
> Does that help?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

>> andris
>>
>> Mark Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that's a start.  Did you configure the Xen framebuffer device (and
>>> framebuffer console) into the kernel?  If not then you wouldn't be able
>>> to access the PV framebuffer from dom0.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark

Thanks for help,
I read also this thread "Re: [Xen-users] dom0 no longer showing serial
console output" , and modified my grub.conf accordingly.
My kernel boot parameters now is  kernel
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20.r6-gentoo-xenU root=/dev/xvda video=xenfb
console=ttyS0 xencons=ttyS vga=0x311
Now I am able to use vnc console, the only thing is that I do not see
kernel boot  messages any more, but only login prompt. Of course it is
ok for me :).
Then what method is used for fedora kernel? I put no kernel boot
parameters for fedora kernel and see everything. I just want to
understand howo kompile xen pv DomU kernel for everything to work
properly. Sometimes it is useful to see kernel boot messages when
something goes wrong.

andris