Re: [Xen-users] Upgrading fedora domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Upgrading fedora domUs
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:49:21 +0100
Cc: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:47:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello, all.  I know the real answer is to throw out the old systems :)
> but we have some old systems still running on Xen 2.0.7 with Fedora Core
> 3.  We have a need to upgrade some of these.  Xen was installed from
> source as we did need to customize the kernel.
>
> How does one do this? In fact, how does one upgrade domUs in general?
>
> In our test lab, I attempted to upgrade an FC3 domU to FC4 via yum.  The
> upgrade eventually succeeded but the domU now crashes on boot with these
> nasty messages:

Fedora generally recommend against upgrading directly using Yum.  Do you have
the domUs installed on separate partitions?  If so, you could boot the entire
box using the FC4 installer CD and tell it to upgrade each domU to FC4.
Rebooting into Anaconda is the recommended way, AFAIK.

> set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 323:    67 Done                    echo
> "raidautorun /dev/md0"
>         68 Segmentation fault      | nash --quiet
> set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage

I guess you've moved /lib/tls out of the way on these systems, right?  Maybe
that confused yum or something, and so the upgrade got botched, resulting in
getting these messages... ?

Maybe you could move it back ;-)  I'm not sure if it'd work, though.  I guess
you could also try to force yum to install the relevant libraries again, or
something like that?

I don't understand TLS very well, so I'm afraid I don't have any more specific
suggestions.

I guess you probably won't like me saying this ;-) but I suppose it's not
possible for you to migrate your apps to an up-to-date version of Fedora
rather than upgrading an existing install?

Cheers,
Mark

> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 340:    71 Done                    echo
> "mkdmnod"
>         72 Segmentation fault      | /sbin/nash --quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
> set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 340:    73 Segmentation
> fault      /sbin/lvm.static vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure
>
> >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Checking filesystems
> Checking all file systems.
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sda1
> set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
> Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/sda1 exited with signal 11.
> [FAILED]
>
> I'm also guessing that I'll have problems with udev once I move to FC5.
>
> Any pointers to howto's, wikis, papers would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks - John

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!