Re: [Xen-users] Kernel panics

> I am currently facing pb with a xended kernel on my gentoo box. I
> emerged =xen-sources-2.6.16.49 and made an oldconfig based on my
> running gentoo-sources-2.6.20. So that I *should not* have pb with
> drivers.... I just have to set the xen specific options. I based my
> dom0 config on

I actually gave up on this one, "make menuconfig" wasn't showing me
the XEN options, and didn't have arch/xen directories, so I assumed
there was something wrong in it. I pulled the tar ball for the xen
web site. It does bring up an interesting point though, the one
from the tar ball is based on 2.6.16-33 rather than -49.

> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo.

Yes, I have used that document.

> I cannot boot this kernel. No info at all. You can set RC_DEBUG="yes"
> into the rc conf file, it will generate extra info into boot.log in
> /var/log.

You mean it does not even start booting up, or does it end up panic'ing ?
Are you using an initrd ? What version of mkinitrd do you use (gentoo
stable has tree right now) ?

> For me, no info at all, neither in dmesg, nor boot.log. I don't know
> what to do. I think I will try a no-xen 2.6.16 kernel just to be sure
> that the pb is coming from the xen kernel config.

But... the XEN'ed kernel cannot write to the filesystem until it has
managed to mount it, from what you are saying you don't get to that
point, do you ?

> What was missing in the xen-sources-2.6.16.49 for you ? which driver ?
> Maybe I face such a problem.

Well JFS for sure, since my partition is JFS, but obviously something
else too that I am not aware of :-(

Yves.