[Xen-users] Kernel panics

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Kernel panics
From: Yves Dorfsman <yves@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:30:37 -0600 (MDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:28:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I'm knwe to XEN, and having the usual panic problem.
XEN (3.0.4.1) loads, then the kernel loads, then it says:
"Please append a correct "root=" boot option"
"Not syncying VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)"
(sort of, I'm catching this just before it reboots !).

I've googled, and it seems that the typical two sources of this problems are invalid initrd and/or missing drivers in the kernel. So before I turn mad, I've got a bunch of questions I'd be very happy if somebody could help me with:

Do you HAVE to have an initrd, or if you managed to put all the necessary drivers in the kernel, you should be able to boot without an initrd ?

My root partition is formated with JFS. Can this be an issue, or as long as I have the JFS drivers in the kernel I should be fine ?

Is there a way to capture the console output, short of using the serial line (or a digital camera :-) ?

Or a way to make it stop and wait for a key to be pressed before it reboots ?

When I do use an initrd, I get a segfault from the linuxrc.
Depending what version of mkinitrd I use I get different results, a lot of the time I can't even mount the gunzip resulting file, and when I can mount it, I get a lot of empty directories.... Is there a better way of producing the initrd ?

Thanks.

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman                                             yves@xxxxxxxxx