[Xen-users] web console for vnc

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] web console for vnc
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:27:24 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:25:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Attached are some files to make use of the tightvnc java vnc viewer,
which can run inside a browser. All you need is a java capable browser
(only tested on Firefox 2.0.x) and you can view your VM consoles.

Copy the attached files into /var/www/xen (or some other directory). Get
VncViewer.jar from www.tightvnc.com and put it in the same directory.

index.html does a meta refresh to main.php
main.php interrogates xenstore to get the names and ports of the console
sessions running on the server
vnc.php writes out the applet code so that it goes to the right port.

You'll need to set up /etc/sudoers to make it go, something like...

"
www-data        dev=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/xenstore-list
www-data        dev=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/xenstore-read
"

... which works for me on my Debian Etch system, running xen 3.1.0.

A word of warning though, don't hit the browser refresh button on the
vnc viewer. This is sometimes (between every time and 1 in 10 times)
sufficient to crash the qemu-dm process, breaking the domain. I've
looked but can't find why this would happen, but it has to be a bug in
the Xen source tree.

Another word of warning, there is no security at all provided here. I
suggest using it only inside a secured VPN.

Hope someone finds it useful.

James