RE: [Xen-users] Removing a cd from a domu

To: "Tony Hoyle" <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Removing a cd from a domu
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:56:42 +1000
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 05:55:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for a way to remove a cd from a domu without
shutting it
> down, editing the cfg file then bringing it back up again.  googling
> mentions a mysterious ctrl-alt-2 option that doesn't work on my system
at
> all (either via vnc or terminal services - I even for a laugh tried it
on
> the main console..) and xm has some commands that look like they can
do
> the job but don't.

The alt-f2 thing works for me using 'xvncviewer' via X-Ming on a windows
machine, but not under the java version of tightvnc running as an applet
under firefox... ymmv.

I have also done it by using 'xm block-detach' and 'xm block-attach' for
a windows 2003 hvm, but found that I had to eject the CD from windows
first (right click on the cd icon then select eject) otherwise it
wouldn't recognise it. I installed all 5 cd's of SBS 2K3 R2 this way.
Sorry I can't remember the syntax but it was pretty nasty - the vnc
alt-f2 way is much neater.

Is there any other way to get to the vnc console, eg via an xm command
or something?

It would be nice to have an xm command that says 'signal an eject to the
hvm and replace the image with this one', in one step.

James