[Xen-users] Windows under Xen can't run Google Earth

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Windows under Xen can't run Google Earth
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:03:33 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:01:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I can run google earth just fine on my winXP home edition machine, when I boot the OS natively.

But, when I run a winXP home edition domU under Xen, it can't run Google Earth.  It displays a message something like:
"The DirectX version doesn't work, try the OpenGL version", and pops up a button to let you launch the OpenGL version.  But the button does nothing, and nor does the quit button, because by then Google Earth has hung up solid.

Now I'm quite ignorant about what OpenGL and DirectX are, but I assume they have to do with the graphics hardware -- that Google Earth requires some feature that's present in the physical hardware, but not in the emulated hardware under Xen.   Something like that?

At any rate, in anyone has any pointers to things I should try, please share them.  Or is it just a lost cause?

Thanks,
Derek.