Re: [Xen-users] LVM or file storage?

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] LVM or file storage?
From: Michael Watters <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:57:19 -0500
Cc: Boris Senker <senker@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:00:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
Also, I'd recommend fully allocating the disk space for your file image,
rather than using sparse files - there is significant overhead involved
in extending the sparse files at runtime which can lead to unexpected
performance degradation. Sparse is fine for development/testing, but in production you want non-sparse files.

Regards,
Dan.
Not to mention some OSes don't support sparse files, like NetBSD.

For my machines I use LVM, it makes backups easier and giving a VM more space is a simple lvextend/growfs operation. You can always run LVM on top of RAID, at least that will give you some redundancy.