Re: [Xen-users] NIC bonding

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NIC bonding
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:14:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:14:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30 Jan 2007 at 15:23, Tim Post wrote:

[...]
> My big questions are :
>
> do you bond 2 nics on dom-0 and port them to a bridge, then assign the
> guest vif to that bridge, or -
>
> assign 2 nics (2 bridges) and bond inside the guest, or -
>
> has anyone tried pciback nics, and bonding inside the guest.

As mentioned earlier, when trying to do bonding in DomU (only), there are
chances
(depending on the bonding mode used) that the kernel will not detect a link
failure. The question is (among others): Will DomU be notified if the cable is
puled out on a physical interface in Dom0? Or the other way: How would a
failure
of a virtual network interface look like if it's going to be detected in DomU?

> Or is each appropriate, but for only certain situations?
>
> Sorry for not being more specific.

I still think "bondig.txt" will supply answers for the problems.

Regards,
Ulrich