[Xen-users] NIC bonding

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] NIC bonding
From: Dick Kniep <dick.kniep@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:06:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:06:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

We have some IBM xSeries with 2 NIC's. To make sure we have hardware failover
and extra communication capacity, we want to bond the NIC's. So we did the
following:

Added in /rws/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0

containing:
-----snip------
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.200.31
GATEWAY=192.168.200.1
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
check_link_down() { return 1 ; }~
-----snip------

We modified ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 to

-----snip------
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:0d:60:eb:84:1a
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.200.53
GATEWAY=192.168.200.1
PEERDNS=yes
### Bonding of Nics
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
check_link_down() { return 1 ; }
-----snip------

Next we loaded bonding by

modprobe bond0.

The the following messages appear:
Jan 27 10:51:46 CVix02 kernel: Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.0.1
(January 9, 2006)
Jan 27 10:51:46 CVix02 kernel: bonding: In ALB mode you might experience
client disconnections upon reconnection of a link if the bonding module
updelay parameter (0 msec) is incompatible with the forwarding delay time of
the switch
Jan 27 10:51:46 CVix02 kernel: bonding: MII link monitoring set to 1000 ms
Jan 27 10:51:57 CVix02 kernel: bonding: bond0: Error: dev_set_mac_address of
dev eth0 failed! ALB mode requires that the base driver support setting the
hw address also when the network device's interface is open
Jan 27 10:51:57 CVix02 kernel: bonding: bond0: Error: dev_set_mac_address of
dev eth0 failed! ALB mode requires that the base driver support setting the
hw address also when the network device's interface is open
Jan 27 10:51:57 CVix02 kernel: bonding: bond0: Error: dev_set_mac_address of
dev eth1 failed! ALB mode requires that the base driver support setting the
hw address also when the network device's interface is open
Jan 27 10:51:57 CVix02 kernel: bonding: bond0: Error: dev_set_mac_address of
dev eth1 failed! ALB mode requires that the base driver support setting the
hw address also when the network device's interface is open
Jan 27 10:56:01 CVix02 net.agent[19216]: remove event not handled
Jan 27 10:56:01 CVix02 net.agent[19235]: remove event not handled

Obviously there is an error in the setting of the mac_address when the
interface is open. This is supposed to be a kernel configuration. I hope
there is no need to rebuild the kernel for this?

If anyone has seen this error before and knows a cure I would be a very happy
man......

D.Kniep