Re: [Xen-users] FC6/Xen crash -- isolated to rsnapshot job

To: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] FC6/Xen crash -- isolated to rsnapshot job
From: master@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:57:18 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:55:43 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes, but rsnapshot can be very, very resource intensive. As soon as you
> start swapping, it's going to get worse: I can easily imagine a
> resource-starved DomU crashing, rather than merely failing.
>
> Are you mounting the SMB directories read-only? It may also help.

While true, I had the exact same behavior when running the jobs in dom0
and it had 800Mb of memory allocated. I think the problem is in the CIFS
bits of the kernel, but that's just speculation on my part.

When I use rsnapshot against linux hosts, no crash. One Windows box at a
time, no crash. Two linux boxes at a time, no crash. Two Windows boxes,
crash in 30 seconds or less -- every time.

At least I have a workaround until it's fixed. I've filed a bugzilla with
redhat on this issue.