[Xen-users] HVM Disk performance

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM Disk performance
From: Karl Stevens <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:12:17 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:12:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

We're trying to install a legacy system (RH7.2) into a VM, but have run
into a performance issue with disk access.  I understand from the post
here: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xen-users&m=115745154318263&w=2
that disk access under HVM is quite slow due to the QEmu hardware emulation.

I've read paravirt drivers, and other work being done to improve
performance in this area, but haven't been able to track down any usable
code (Rusty Russel has some patches at
http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/paravirt/ , but it isn't immediately clear what
it should be applied against.)

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this -  is this ongoing
work that will eventually filter down into mainstream Xen, or have my
google-fu skills failed me, and there is something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks,
Karl

__
---