Re: [Xen-users] boot from a CD fails

> On 1/18/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyhow, the simplest solution is to use Qemu to install the VM.  If the
> > resulting VM boots on Xen, then you're all set, otherwise you'll have to
> > tweak the bootloader to not do so much hairy stuff (or replace it with
> > another on).
>
> Hmm, not sure if that works. Some things might work with qemu, some
> not. I had some live cd's I wanted to try with xen hvm, and failed,
> but they also did not work in qemu. (I am not sure now, if that qas a
> qemu running on the same machine as xen, and the original qemu might
> be broken by parts of the xen install that also uses qemu.

It's been my experience that qemu handles most things these days (although
still not everything I've found to throw at it!), so I'd think there's a good
chance of this working...

The main question is how much fiddling would be required after install.

Rob: there is work (under the heading "V2E") in progress to address the
emulation situation on Intel VT-x, so a more complete solution will be
forthcoming in a future release.  The code for the V2E tree is publically
available, but unfortunately although it fixes some problems it currently
also creates others.  It'll get there....

> But another thing that comes to my mind and I wonder why I never
> tried: cannot a cd iso be booted as PV domain, also, assuming I don't
> enable module in my kernel?
> So, that would work for Linux live cd's at least.

Well...  It can be done in principle, but there are some problems in practice.

Typically what you need to do is boot the PV domain using the initrd and
kernel from the CD (assuming there's a Xen aware kernel on there), or build
your own kernel.  This doesn't work for all systems since (e.g. Anaconda on
Fedora or RHEL) some installers will get confused if not booted with the
kernel setup they were expecting.

Some CD's might work with a generic kernel, plus an initrd from the CD.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!