RE: [Xen-users] Passing a PCI-E video card to a DomU

To: "James Harr" <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Passing a PCI-E video card to a DomU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:31:00 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:34:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Passing any PCI device (PCI, PCI-x, PCI-e, AGP) to a HVM (VMX/SVM)
domain doesn't work. There's no way to pass it, but that's not the hard
part to solve. The hard part is to translate the guest physical
addresses to machine physical. In the future chipsets/processors, there
will be IOMMU support, which means that the address translation can be
done in hardware. But so far, this isn't available in hardware, and the
software isn't actually aware that what it thinks is the memory address
isn't REALLY the physical address of the memory, so it can't fix it.

There is a theoretical possibility of writing a virtual-aware driver,
but considering the complexity of graphics drivers for reasonably modern
graphics hardware, I'd say it will take longer to get that sorted than
it does to wait for hardware to arrive (should be available this year or
so, I think - but that's not a promise, I don't have access to plans for
either AMD or Intels future products). [The source code for a modern
graphics driver is in the same size-order as a Linux kernel with all
it's drivers, give or take a bit].

--
Mats