[Xen-users] Re: Passing a PCI-E video card to a DomU

To: james@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Passing a PCI-E video card to a DomU
From: Andrés Lagar Cavilla <andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:22:37 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:21:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James,
Xen-GL: I'm playing unreal on my domU's :)
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl
Although the code there is not completely up to date. Will update soon.
Not for windows though.
Andres

As far as I've seen (which isn't very far), opengl performance under most
virtualization products has been non-existent to poor. I've been cooking up
an idea to stick two PCIe video cards in a computer, and hand one off to a
DomU instance (windows?), and use that for 3D rendering in that DomU. I'm
curious to see if it's even technically possible (I wasn't sure if VMX
guests can handle raw PCI devices), and if anyone has attempted it before
and what they've run into. The idea is that if this works (and well), it'd
be a good excuse for me to consolidate my computers into one big fast
machine instead of spreading my money out across 2 or 3 machines. I went
through a few pages of google results, saw a lot of talk, but no one who's
done it yet.

Any information on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks,
James Harr