Re: [Xen-users] xen sparce files on ocfs2/gfs

To: Brock Palen <brockp@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen sparce files on ocfs2/gfs
From: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:20:16 -0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:20:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Brock Palen wrote:
> Can CLVM present teh active DRBD disk to the other node over the
> network? It appears i would need GNBD to do this?  Can they be used
> together?

No, it just manages volumes.

> For the volumes that make a a single vm's file system  (a domU's / /var
> swap)  Do i need to format them gfs?  Or will CLVM present the device
> over the network (from the current active rw half of DRBD)  and because
> only one host is 'mounting'  the file system in that volume i dont need
> the global'ness of GFS/OCFS2?

ext3 is fine if it won't be mounted by two things at once.  If it's
mounted read-only by every mounter, ext3 can be shared.

> I think im just confusing my self,  I just don't want to get a few
> months down the road and have corruption of all the file systems.  If
> anyone has seen a good GFS/CLVM/GRBD  explanation howto  I would be very
> grateful.

If you want to export the DRBD block device to the network, you can use
iSCSI, AoE, GNBD, etc.  It would still have LVM volumes on it, though.
It would probably be easiest to use RHCS stuff (CLVM, GNBD, and GFS)
together.  They all use the same locking system and configuration.

--
Christopher G. Stach II