[Xen-users] xen sparce files on ocfs2/gfs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xen sparce files on ocfs2/gfs
From: Brock Palen <brockp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:08:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:09:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well my two node xen cluster is coming along. The nodes will mirror two partitions (using drbd) one for holding the xen images the other for user data (global /home). I figure i will export a ocfs2 or gfs filesystem to both node dom0's via iscsi. They will then hold sparse files for the xen images (regular ext3).

Is this doable? Is there a better way? A dedicated shared storage box is out of the question for the foreseeable future. I want to use heartbeat to provide HA ability and DRBD will keep the data mirrored. I worry about having the iSCSI target having a floating ip with drbd. And split brain, both nodes try to attached to the sparefile for one domU.

Has anyone done anything similar? And what about using GFS vs OCFS2 ? I would like to avoid sparce files, and export real devices, something like a cluster aware LVM but finding information on such a thing on-top of DRBD has not been fruitful, and all the GFS options for providing such a feature has confused me with lack of decent documentation. Help please.

I guess simplest is there a HOW-TO for a similar set up? Two nodes no (physical) shared disk HA ability.

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp@xxxxxxxxx
(734)936-1985