Re: [Xen-users] Xen DomU/Guest SMP - Working ?

To: femski <hypertree@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen DomU/Guest SMP - Working ?
From: "M.A. Williamson" <maw48@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Dec 2006 23:48:36 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:48:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, its the stock Xen that came with Fedora 6. I just picked Virtualization and it automatically setup Dom0 with Xen kernel. So adding a guest using virt-manager was no problem once you got past "horribly broken" mouse problem (very painful). Other than that I am very impressed with the ease of use.

Cool.
I am pleasantly surprise to see that Xen SMP guest works in Xen 3. I looked
at some very recent posts that seemed to indicate it was still UP. May be
its turned on in unstable tree that Fedora derives from.

SMP for paravirt guests has been available since Xen 3 was released last year - however, HVM (fully virtualised) guests were limited to UP until recently. I think that restriction may have been lifted in 3.0.4 now... or if not I imagine it'll be doable in 3.0.5. Someone can probably fill in more details...

Cheers,
Mark

thanks for the good news.

-Sanjay

Excellent! Nice hardware too, glad to hear Xen works well on it. Is that the stock FC6 Xen package?

Guests can be multiprocessor in Xen 3 - the uniprocessor restriction only applied in Xen 1 and Xen 2. Of course, you have to be running a guest OS that supports Xen's SMP interface, but the Linux port does.

Cheers,
Mark