Re: [Xen-users] Research -> do participate.....

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Research -> do participate.....
From: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:55:19 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:55:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is what i read about SuSE/Novell that they are planning to support
windows DomU sometime late quarter next yr. Which forced me to start this
thread. So after going through all the responce that i got in this thread,
there is no doubt left . Windows OS can be installed over XEN.
I am having Fedora core 6 as a host and XEN 3.0.3 and after a lot of tries i
was able to install SuSE 10 on top of XEN and that too i have to start using
command in terminal. It doesnt start when i do it from VMM.
Anyway , when i tried to install windows OS on top of it, immediately after
setup completes VM disappear and then i cant even open it using command
line. Only blank screen appears.
I choosed FC6 and XEN 3.0.3 because XEN was included in the installation of
FC6 and i dont have interent for that system to install it after host OS
installation.
May be there is some problem with this version.
And about my processor..yeh it is fully virtualized intel VT PRO....as
follows

[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2128.098
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5322.02

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2128.098
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5322.02

And memory info as follows....
In total RAM is 1024MB but when i terminal shows like this after DOM0 starts
up

[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       398720 kB
MemFree:         11692 kB
Buffers:         14064 kB
Cached:         191996 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         128492 kB
Inactive:       158788 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       398720 kB
LowFree:         11692 kB
SwapTotal:     2097144 kB
SwapFree:      2097144 kB
Dirty:               8 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:       81264 kB
Mapped:          35828 kB
Slab:            18400 kB
PageTables:       5564 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   2296504 kB
Committed_AS:   368468 kB
VmallocTotal:   450552 kB
VmallocUsed:      6524 kB
VmallocChunk:   443508 kB

AND WHEN I START DOMU SuSE 10 as guest on top of it memory info is like
this....

[root@localhost ~]# xm create /etc/xen/linux_test
Using config file "/etc/xen/linux_test".
Started domain linux_test

[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       398720 kB
MemFree:          3452 kB
Buffers:         15288 kB
Cached:         179664 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         148100 kB
Inactive:       146272 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       398720 kB
LowFree:          3452 kB
SwapTotal:     2097144 kB
SwapFree:      2097144 kB
Dirty:              92 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:       99472 kB
Mapped:          38416 kB
Slab:            18184 kB
PageTables:       6824 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   2296504 kB
Committed_AS:   418320 kB
VmallocTotal:   450552 kB
VmallocUsed:      6640 kB
VmallocChunk:   443508 kB

I dont think its because of memory as i try with one VM at a time ...so SuSE
was successful but not windows .

Now what do you guys say about my system hardware and all....is it allright
to have win xp on top of xen or not.
If there is no problem with the processor then i might try this time with
some different host and xen version.
Is there any other version of linux which incude XEN with its installation.
This time i wanna try with that OS which is already been tested.
If there is no other OS which include XEN then is there any other way to
have XEN if you dont have internet connection like by copying xen on cd or
something.....
If not then i might arrange internet for that sys....
I desperately need that win xp on top of xen.....So do help me out by
sharing your knowledge friends...
Thanks a lot to all of you for replying....
Tschuess..