Re: [Xen-users] RE: Research -> do participate.....

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Research -> do participate.....
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:15:52 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:16:19 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
anant wrote:
> I dont understand what you are trying to say here.
> My simple question was is it possible to have windows XP on top of XEN or
> not.

Yes - it's possible. Yes - I've successfully had Windows XP, Windows
2003 Server, and recently Windows 2000 installed via a XEN kernel on
SLES 10 (including all updates).

> If it is possible then i want to know who  have successfully
> implemented it and how. Have you installed WIndows on top of XEN or you just
> say what you read.

Yes - I've done this. Only on a disk image file as it was purely for
testing and demo purposes. I found it was easier to build the image via
Qemu first and then use this image via XEN. I have however, built images
entirely through XEN - albeit some months ago and had a few install
stability issues (seem to be much improved in the latest SLES 10
releases and by reducing the Dom0 memory)

> These are two different things.
> So if you have really implemented it then i would be pleased to know how you
> achieved that install . If not then that documentation is probably right
> which says its release is due in coming year by march.
> Thanks for your reply anyway

You can *only* install Windows in a XEN environment if you have the
correct hardware from AMD or Intel. There are plenty of posts here that
state you need an Intel VT chip or an AMD 'Pacifica' (I can't remember
the released branding for the chip... Pacifica is a much cooler name :-)
). You can verify that you have this type of chip by looking at
/proc/cpuinfo (AMDs have the svn flag - I can't remember what Intel's
have... google is your friend here).

As you can probably guess, my install system was an AMD system, with 4GB
of RAM. I've used both 32 bit and 64 bit kernels for XEN and been able
to run 32 bit Windows. I've not yet been able to install 64 bit Windows
- keeps barfing on the ACPI stuff (although I've not had a go again for
a while lately).

Hopefully some of this helps clarify that it is indeed possible on the
correct hardware.

Jon