Re: [Xen-users] Offer to help on CentOs4-4

To: tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Offer to help on CentOs4-4
From: Xen Help <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:58:45 -0600
Cc: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:00:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Post wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 10:52 -0600, Xen Help wrote:

You are right, it would not be a viable business model and I always pay for these services, thank you for confirming it. I do not know how they could make money if the open source version would work, that makes a lot of sense.

What, exactly are you implying? While you are having issues getting
things working, I have over (now) 400+ servers happily in production all
using Xen, most of them owned by some of the larger hosting companies in
the US.

Remember that Fedora , *at best* is an experimental OS, updates
frequently and is prone to breakage in its normal non virtualized state.

You may consider using a slightly more stable platform rather than
pointing the finger at Xen. Debian-ish OS's may be easier for you to
manage.

Again right, except for the thinking and crying part as I follow the instructions only, remember I made it work for 2 years and now all updates are not working anymore, obviously something has changed, when you rpm -Fvh packages and it breaks things, where are you forced to go when the list cannot or will not help? Are you working for Xensource? Its true your comment about that it would not be a good business model if people could simply install it and work.

Many people do simply install it and it works. Again, what exactly are
you implying? If you want to imply Xen is "baitware" then do it but you
better have a Beowulf backing your mail server, as you will have
effectively pissed off anyone reading this list. You're bordering on it
now.

Xen is free. The lists supporting it are free, you're using a free OS, I
don't quite get what your problem is. With the overtone you are
projecting, however, I'm having an easy time understanding why you
aren't successful finding help on the lists.

I never used Vmware, but my IT friends are selling it to me as bad as I use to sell them the beauty of Xen, don't get me wrong (as you seems to have) if I decide to switch it would not be by choice. Is Xen source offering the service you describe above? If yes that might be why I would rather stick to open source.

You cannot be everything and yes I am no kernel expert even if I do and patch all my linux kernels (before Xen) without much problems, I must admit the Xen source one is tricky, but you are here to sell or maybe to help us all, aren't you?

Nobody is trying to sell you anything, again, please explain exactly
what you are implying.

 > BTW, iptables, CentOS 4.4, and recent domU kernels work _fine_ together.

Thanks again for confirming what I thought I had read somewhere, then you claim it too that it works, so WHY don't you tell us you secret? Better than that, I'll PAY you the XenServer license (I believe it is $99) so you can share your detailed how to to get CentOS 4-4 to boot dom0 and domU until it works flawlessly with iptables. You seems to be an expert so the right initrd ram drives should be easy to do for you as you obviously have the knowledge I am missing, would you share it we me and the list? My offer is valid only until the 25th.

How about that?

Can you refrain from insulting people? You can't fix everything by
throwing money at it. Your 'how about that' attitude is an insult to
everyone here who gives their time to help people get the most out of
Xen. People here don't offer help to try to 'seed' future monetary
reward, they do it because they enjoy doing it. Is this jab at
XenSource, or the Xen community? Again you're really on thin ice either
way you answer.
The attitude is pedantic, condescending and given your (lack of)
experience is like a schoolkid mouthing off to a teacher trying to help
them.

If you hope to get their [the list] help, you may want to look at your
part of making the experience enjoyable.
I seldom chirp in and the last thing I like to do is 'fan flames' but in
this (rare) instance I feel compelled.

You make me remember a quote from a movie :

"I tried to see things from your perspective, there simply was not
enough room for two heads up your a$$".

I tried to find something positive in all of your posts. I couldn't ,
and not from lack of effort.

Be positive, be productive, be proactive or be someone else's problem :)
Xen was not built so you can offer license free VPS's to the world,
please stop acting as if it was or go buy a copy of Virtuozzo.
Your opinions is yours only.

My sincere apologies if anyone on this list has been or felt insulted by my messages, it is not and was not my intentions. I try not to be as described BUT words can and are interpreted at an individual level and it seems to have aroused your anger.

I disagree however about _all_ my postings being or sounding like the description you provide which is not how I am, I have much respect for every open source developpers.

I very much prefer Xen over any other technology, I might now feel the pressure and frustration of my unanswered questions, but this is MY problem. I will try not to share anymore any of my team's problems with Xen in any colourful ways.

Please do accept my apologies, you and any and all other members which I might have offended.

++

Best,
-Tim

Virtual Space International Inc.
Steven Dugway USA 206-734-HOST Canada 514-939-HOST (4678) ext 5