Re: [Xen-users] SuSE 9.3 XenU using the Xen 3 RHEL4.1 RPM

To: Eamonn Kenny <Eamonn.Kenny@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SuSE 9.3 XenU using the Xen 3 RHEL4.1 RPM
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:03:48 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:04:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12 Dec 2006 at 9:07, Eamonn Kenny wrote:

> Hi Ulrich,
>
> Thanks your suggestion gets rid of the annoying references to not being
> able to find the modules. However it still doesn't allow the machine to
> come up in runlevel 3 which is what I want. There are also some errors
> at the start about not being about to create /dev/mapper/control,
> although it seems to exist already with the correct permissions.

That device file appears once the module is loaded. So either a sequencing
problem, or a timing problem. Maybe add a sleep when the mapper is loaded.

Part of my system's startup says:
Activating swap-devices in /etc/fstab...
doneStarting udevd done
Activating device mapper...
done
doneStarting MD Raid done
Waiting for udev to settle...
Scanning for LVM volume groups...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "system" using metadata type lvm2
Activating LVM volume groups...
  13 logical volume(s) in volume group "system" now active
done

> The errors look as follows:
>
> Activating device mapper...
> FATAL: Module dm_mod not found.

That's bad! In my SLES10 system I have:
INITRD_MODULES="amd74xx mptsas processor thermal fan reiserfs dm_mod edd"

See "dm_mod" is explicitly mentioned.

> device-mapper kernel module not loaded: can't create /dev/mapper/control.
>                                                                      failed

Also:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16     Nov 23 09:58 /dev/mapper/control ->
../device-mapper
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 63 Nov 23 09:58 /dev/device-mapper

> showconsole: Warning: the ioctl TIOCGDEV is not known by the kernel
>
> I couldn't find any easy solution.

Dig and you will find something ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich