Re: [Xen-users] SuSE 9.3 XenU using the Xen 3 RHEL4.1 RPM

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SuSE 9.3 XenU using the Xen 3 RHEL4.1 RPM
From: "Daniel Bauer" <mlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:24:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:25:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

From: "Eamonn Kenny" <Eamonn.Kenny@xxxxxxxxx>
The majority of the machines we use are running some variant of RHEL 4.4. However I have two SuSE 9.3 virtual machines that were previously configured
correctly for Xen 2.0.7 in loopback files.

I've recently moved them to Xen 3.0.3 using LVMs but get errors such as:

# /etc/init.d/sshd restart
Shutting down SSH daemon done Starting SSH daemonmodprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1/modules.dep: No such file or directory

you have to copy the modules from your running kernel in your VM, f.e.

cp -Rav /lib/modules/ /SuSE9.3/lib/modules/

This results at boot time in an error that forces the runlevel to change from 3 to 4 which is a standalone mode that will have no sshd or network turned on. If I use "xm console" and log onto the relevant hosts I can start sshd and network and get the machines working but with the nasty error messages above. Does anyone know of a patch to fix this, or do I have to have a vmlinuz specially built for SuSE 9.3?

Currently my automatically loaded xenU /etc/xen/auto/suse9-vm contains:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1"

I am surprised the RHEL4.1 RPM doesn't work, because it works for CentOS 4.4 and RHEL 3.0.7.

HTH
Daniel