Re: [Xen-devel] Re: logs attached. Re: [Xen-users] Can not findthe cdrom

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: logs attached. Re: [Xen-users] Can not findthe cdrom device in /dev/ afterbooted into xen(3.0.3)
From: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:58:36 +0000
Cc: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:52:37 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:24:33 +0000
Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks like the I/O ports are allocated correctly to the device in both cases
> (both Xen and native). So I have no idea why the IDE PCI probing code isn't
> picking up on this. At this point I'd be adding tracing to the two kernels
> to find out where their probing paths diverge.

Looking over the current kernel code it is known to work in the non-Xen
case. The native mode on the ESB2 has other problems recently reported
but they would cause hangs later with stuck interrupts. Since I've got
bugs filed on this I know the detection works outside of Xen.

The old IDE probe code predates PCI so conveniently the PCI side of the
scan logic is all in setup-pci.c. Modules registering with ide during
init are added to a list and all run post init, modules added later get
their setup methods run immediately. Thus you can trace loading the piix
module pretty directly through idepci_register_driver and
ide_setup_pci_device, beyond that you are pretty much out of PCI territory