Re: [Xen-users] Can not find the cdrom device in /dev/ after booted into

To: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can not find the cdrom device in /dev/ after booted into xen(3.0.3)
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 02:05:45 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:06:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 09:12 -0700, Liang Yang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just did a fresh installation of Xen 3.0.3. However, I can not find my
> cd-rom device under /dev/ after I booted into Xen. If I booted into Linux
> native (RHELAS 4.4), CD-ROM device is there and listed as /dev/cdrom. I know
> Xen changed the CD-ROM access mode from HVM domain. But for Xen domain0, it
> should still be listed as /dev/cdrom, right?

Should be.

> I think the driver for CD-ROM must be already loaded and it is hided by Xen
> somehow. I checked a Linux Server beta version which has integrated Xen on
> the same platform, I can find the cdrom device in /dev/. I remember Xen
> 3.0.2 does not have this problem either.
>
> Could anyone share some solutions?

Please post the output of lsmod and lspci so the list can help you
diagnose the issue. My guess is your IDE was loaded via insmod in
linuxrc and was not picked up by a depmod when xen installed.

Uncommon, but not the first time I've seen it in RHEL.