RE: [Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 00:08:49 +0800
Cc: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:58:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:32 +0100, Petersson, Mats wrote:

> All processors that are using Sockets AM2, F and S1 and that aren't
> called "Sempron" have AMD-V.

That helps alleviate some of the confusion.

> Anything that isn't in those sockets are
> INCAPABLE of AMD-V. There's probably still plenty of older processors in
> stock in various places, so watch for the socket. Another prety easy way
> to determine which processor you get in a system would be to determine
> the memory type. All the new, AMD-V capable processors, have DDR2 memory
> controller (this is the reason for the new socket in the first place).

Its hard to tell when leasing a co-located server :) The monkeys at the
data centers only go by model #.

> I understand that it's a bit frustrating to not be able to tell from the
> model number (or some such) which model of processors are AMD-V capable.

Only when hunting for a deal on E-bay or Froogle. Listings typically go
by model #, you have to weed through the listing or do some more digging
to get the spec sheet letting you know what socket your getting, plus
the above mentioned problem when ordering them on a monthly lease
co-located.

Since the HP's I ran into are so common and popular, I thought I'd
mention it.

> However, we (as AMD) have to look at the bigger picture - AMD-V is an
> important feature for a small proportion of our customers, whilst most
> customers are just interested in getting good performance, quality and
> value for money.

And that's exactly what AMD delivers.. was never in question. My point
in posting was to (hopefully) stop someone from making a 5 - 6 thousand
dollar mistake when buying :) The bad part about great deals on sites
like E-Bay is all sales are final.

When shopping from a list like this :

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors

If not already familiar with AMD, Its an easy mistake to make.

> To change the model numbers or other nomenclature of
> the processor
> would mean that the customer would have to ask "Is the new
> ABCD-processor as good as the old EFGH model?", and we don't really want
> that sort of confusion.

Exactly. I wasn't criticizing :) Apologies if what I posted was
misinterpreted. Its a non issue for most newer systems anyway.

> There's a competitor out there that does
> everything they can to reclaim some of the market-share they've got,
> and
> us causing our customers to be confused will certaily not help us
> keep/gain marketshare - something that is part of our goal...

AMD would need to work hard to lose market share. The performance /
price makes it a no-brainer.

Combined with virtualization technology, in developing countries with
inadequate or antiquated power grids (such as here in Manila) its even
more of a no-brainer.

I wasn't suggesting it be changed, only posting a look out :)

> --
> Mats
> > --

Best,