RE: [Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)

To: "Thorolf Godawa" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:32:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:33:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All processors that are using Sockets AM2, F and S1 and that aren't
called "Sempron" have AMD-V. Anything that isn't in those sockets are
INCAPABLE of AMD-V. There's probably still plenty of older processors in
stock in various places, so watch for the socket. Another prety easy way
to determine which processor you get in a system would be to determine
the memory type. All the new, AMD-V capable processors, have DDR2 memory
controller (this is the reason for the new socket in the first place).

I understand that it's a bit frustrating to not be able to tell from the
model number (or some such) which model of processors are AMD-V capable.
However, we (as AMD) have to look at the bigger picture - AMD-V is an
important feature for a small proportion of our customers, whilst most
customers are just interested in getting good performance, quality and
value for money. To change the model numbers or other nomenclature of
the processor would mean that the customer would have to ask "Is the new
ABCD-processor as good as the old EFGH model?", and we don't really want
that sort of confusion. There's a competitor out there that does
everything they can to reclaim some of the market-share they've got, and
us causing our customers to be confused will certaily not help us
keep/gain marketshare - something that is part of our goal...

--
Mats