[Xen-users] installing xen-3.0.3 on AMD sempron, CentOS4.4

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] installing xen-3.0.3 on AMD sempron, CentOS4.4
From: "Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:38:57 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:40:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I'm currently using xen-3.0.2-testing on several servers. But when xen
3.0.3 was announced I wanted to try it, of course it should have several
iprovements and bugfixes, etc.

I did the same steps I was previously done in order to compile
xen-3.0.2, and in fact xen compiled and installed very cleanly.

I created my initrd image and then I modded grub.conf in order to boot
from the newly compiled xen.. and to my surprise it came up with a panic:

mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
unmount /initrd/dev failed: 2

I have tried to compile it on several ocassions. On the same PC, it is
an AMD sempron with 1GB RAM, 10GB HD. The /boot and / FS is ext3.

I have again compiled xen-3.0.2-testing and it works perfectly.

Last night I downloaded the RHEL rpms and installed them. I updated
grub.conf to use the newly installed kernel/initrd from rpms and again
the same problem.

I have tried not using LVM2, using LVM2, but no success.

I see several people already are using xen-3.0.3 and nobody has, at the
moment, reported this issue. Maybe it is related to my hardware
configuration? Anyway, it works ok with xen-3.0.2 maybe something has
changed that I dont know?

I can see it is not an uncommon error, it is sometimes reported. I guess
it is related to the kernel not being able to detect the ext3 FS...

regards
epe