[Xen-users] Ubuntu Dapper not mounting swap, other filesystems

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Ubuntu Dapper not mounting swap, other filesystems
From: Alan Murrell <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:17:49 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:24:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen Version: 2.0.7

I have created a DomU from "Ubuntu Server", version 6.06 ("Dapper").  It was
originally installed under VMWare Player then the files rsynced to a loopback
file on my Domain0.  I have done this before with Mandriva images with noe
problem.

The problem I am having is that when my Ubuntu image boots, it boots just fine
from the "root" image, but does not mount swap nor the seperate "home" images
I have.  When it gets to mounting the "home" image in the boot process, it
stops, saying that it could no read the block device, and to hit "Control-D"
to continue.  Doing so completes the boot process with no further errors,
except my "home" image is not mounted.  Swap is not running either.

I know there is nothing wrong with the swap and "home" images, because they
mount just fine under a Mandriva 2006 DomU.

When I try to mount the "home" image from within the booted DomU (which is
"/dev/hda6"), it tells me that it could not find '/dev/hda6'.  I get the same
error when I issue the "swapon -a" command (except it references the swap
partition, '/dev/hda1').  I have included my DomU configuration file below.

I seem to recall that there was an article mentioning something that needed to
be done for Ubuntu to work properly with Xen, but I am unable to locate the
article to see if it pertains to the issue I am currently having.

I have all the modules for the Xen kernel in the image, so that *shouldn't* be
an issue.

Any ideas and thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

-Alan

--- ubuntu DomU ---
# Delay startup of domain until firewall should be running
import time
time.sleep(5)

name = "desktop01"
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
root = "/dev/hda5 ro"
memory = 256
disk = [
        'file:/home/vserver/domains/desktop01/swap.img,hda1,w',
        'file:/home/vserver/domains/desktop01/root.img,hda5,w',
        'file:/home/vserver/domains/desktop01/home.img,hda6,w'
       ]
restart = "onreboot"

# network
nics = 1
vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:2d:9b:fa,bridge=br-lan0']
--- ubuntu DomU ---