Re: [Xen-users] Problem with dom0

Hi,

On Sunday 08 October 2006 20:39, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Chris Fanning wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> You should not mix your self-compiled Xen install with the Debian
> >> packages. Go the one way or the other.
> >
> > I compile xen source on debian testing and use the debian package
> > libc6-xen.
> > So far no problems mixing that. Or are you refering to something else?
>
> It _can_ work to mix some testing packages into stable. But it _can_
> also break a lot.
>
> In Hugo's case, on the one hand it isn't exactly ckear to me what
> exactly he's about to do, but it looked like he wanted to use one of the
> xen-kernels provided by debian together with the self-built Xen from
> xensources. And that might be not a good idea. I would use the xen
> hypervisor from debian with the Debian kernels, and the  xensource
> hypervisor with the xensource kernels.

That was not  my idea. The meaning of install the testing the kernel from
debian was to see if it would work, just to try to see if the server would
became stable with it. I've also installed the debian binaries.

compatible processor listing, but in the malling list there is already at
least a post that claims to been able to install xen.

The motherboard, it it based on chipset intel 965p, ich8r, and i think it's
here that resides the problem. It is used an jmicro controller, which while
being ahci compatible it's not well supported on kernel's bellow 2.6.18.

I've tried using an promise sata controller but the gigabyte motherboard
doesn't allow to turn off the onboard sata controller.

Right now i'm not at the office, but as soon i get there i will post xen
dmesg.

> Henning
>
> (please keep discussion on list, as I didn't see your response cpoming
> in there, just to me personally)

Regards
Hugo