Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

To: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?
From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:14:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:15:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian P. Christian wrote:
> iSCSI looked like a good bet, but the fact it's using TCP/IP seems like
> a crazy overhead to use when I'm most likely going to be hosting the
> storage on the same layer 2 network as the servers.
>
> AoE solves that above concern but I'm confused as to what would happen
> should I need to move from SATA storage drives to SCSI for performance
> reasons.

I'll be looking at these 2 technologies in more detail (currently i've
played with AoE, dead easy to setup!). I'll do my best to document my
findings with regards to speed, will be interesting to see the difference.

But, they do solve different problems, the fact that iSCSI is routable
means that it's deployable in situations where AoE isn't (without layer
2 tunneling magic).

So, I'll mail back with my findings, hopefully it will help some.

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk