Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:49 AM, John Madden wrote:

And their performance numbers are relatively terrible, so you
should be able to do much better by building it on your own. (Unless
the bad performance numbers are due to AoE itself, which I somewhat
doubt, but regardless, I was able to do about 30% better with iSCSI.)

In terms of what? We're getting a very high IOPS rate, and nearly
saturating gigabit ethernet.

(Saturating the link is fine as long as your performance is good as
well.)  Anyway, the numbers I've read from them show something in the
neighborhood of really terrible:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8149 -- 23.58MB/s reads. I'd expect
that performance out of a single ATA disk. IOPS is obviously something
different, but I don't believe that article mentions it.

That article is 18 months old.

That is their older box, which had 10 drives, 10 100Mb ethernet cards and
no built-in RAID functionality.

It is completely and totally irrelevant in this discussion

iSCSI is pointless unless you need to traverse a router and will be slower
than AoE.

--
-- Tom Mornini