Re: [Xen-users] CPU intensive VM starves IO intensive VMs

To: "Apparao, Padmashree K" <padmashree.k.apparao@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CPU intensive VM starves IO intensive VMs
From: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:34:18 -0400
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:34:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/29/06, Apparao, Padmashree K <padmashree.k.apparao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What are the number of vcpus so for each VM and what physical cpus are
the VMs on.  I have run similar tests and seen different results from
what you see.

For these experiments I am working on a single CPU machine. Having
more cpus would be nice, but I'm assuming setting the sedf CPU weights
should be sufficient for preventing any VM or Dom0 from being starved.

I'd be interested to know how moving to tip unstable affects
your tests. I suspect it will help a lot.

I have not tried setting up a system with xen unstable, but hopefully
that helps.

If anyone else wants to give it a try for me, I was just using Iperf
and this script to hog cpu:
#!/bin/bash

while true
do