Re: [Xen-users] bonding + vlan + bridgeing + xen not working

To: Eli Criffield <elicriffield@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bonding + vlan + bridgeing + xen not working
From: Sébastien CRAMATTE <s.cramatte@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:25:23 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:26:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Bonding + Vlan doesn't work on my debian sarge e (kernel 2.6.16.19 + xen 3.0.2) It's very very slow or I loose packet randomly ... I don't how can I debug traffic with tcpdump to see where is exactly the problem ...

I've configured VLAN  under using this howto
http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/category/xen/

The Felipe's howto explain two approach in depth (vlan config in domU and 1 vlan per bridge) I've tried to setup bonding + vlans it using methods above... neither of them work ...

First I've tried to as in this howto
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17605.html

(network-bridge netdev=bond0)

In my case just after xend init , I must enslave another time manualy eth0+eth1 to bond0 The xen bridge script create correctly a "pbond0" interface and all seems to be right ... but in reality not
the traffic is blocked for obscur reason ...

Just after I've tried to tweak the network-bridege script as in this  doc :
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-04/msg00186.html

And to finish I've tried various mix ... neither solutions works !

I haven't tried bonding without vlan. My network architecture require vlans so .... I can't confirm that is problem with bonding driver or with vlan ... or twice !

I've found this message on the xen-devel list :
http://groups.google.com/group/xen-devel-archive/browse_thread/thread/e28503a3b9f391f9/31a8ed773979654c?lnk=st&q=xen+vlan+bonding&rnum=2&hl=fr#31a8ed773979654c

maybe help ?

Regards

Eli Criffield a écrit :
I'm trying to setup bonding combined with vlans with xen. This is
running on a ibm blade with dual ethernet cards.

I commented out the network-script in xend-config.sxp and wrote my own
script. It seems like everything should work.

What i do is first setup bond0 enslaving eth0 and eth1, then create
vlans using bond0 as the device, add those vlan devices to there own
bridge (vlanXXX-br), then use that bridge in the domU configuration
like "vif = [ bridge=vlanXXX-br ]".

Then add vif0.0 to the vlan bridge it needs to be in and configure
veth0 with the dom0 ip and gateway.

dom0 works great, everything comes up and i can connect fine. The domU
guests come up and you can sometimes ping from inside the same vlan
and network, sometimes not. But the domU can't ever ping its own
gateway so no hope of getting out side its own network. Trying
`ethtool -K eth0 tx off` on the domU doesn't change anything.

Here's the script

#!/bin/sh
# read in config for dom0
. /etc/xen/network/dom0

modprobe bonding
modprobe 8021q
modprobe bridge

ip link set bond0 up
ip link set eth0 up
ip link set eth1 up
ip link set bond0 addr fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD

# vlans are stored in /etc/xen/network/vlans one number per line
# it'll create a vlanXXX-br bridge for eath vlan

for vlan in `cat /etc/xen/network/vlans` ; do
  vconfig add bond0 ${vlan}
  vconfig add eth0 ${vlan}
  ip link set vlan${vlan} up
  brctl addbr vlan${vlan}-br
  brctl stp vlan${vlan}-br off
  brctl setfd vlan${vlan}-br off
  brctl addif vlan${vlan}-br vlan${vlan}
  ip link set vlan${vlan}-br up
done

# setup dom0's ip addr on one of the vlan bridgs
# as defined in /etc/xen/network/dom0
brctl addif vlan${dom0_VLAN}-br vif0.0

ip link set veth0 addr 00:0d:60:4e:48:88
ip link set vif0.0 up
ip link set veth0 up
ethtool -K veth0 tx off

ip addr add ${dom0_IPADDR} broadcast ${dom0_BOADCAST} dev veth0
ip route add default via ${dom0_GATEWAY} dev veth0