Re: [Xen-users] DomU with modules?

To: Adam Seering <aseering@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU with modules?
From: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:05:15 +1000
Cc: Sven Köhler <skoehler@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:06:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adam Seering wrote:

>> 1. do you always compile seperate kernels for Dom0 and DomU? What's the
>> advantage?
>
> In theory, domU kernels don't need many drivers at all, since they
> generally don't have physical hardware access.  If you compile the
> kernels separately, your domU kernels can be quite small, which
> theoretically gives you a performance advantage.  I don't know if
> there's another advantage to the split compiling.

A smaller domU kernel means less exploitable code, which is
theoretically a plus for security.

However, if you're worried about that sort of thing you should really be
focusing on having SELinux, RSBAC or PaX/GrSecurity in your domUs and dom0.

>> 3. Is there some way to access files of Dom0 within the DomUs? Is there
>> some other way then NFS to do this?

> A while ago, I read about an attempt to make a Xen-optimized filesystem
> to do exactly what you want.

That would be XenFS (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFS), for
anyone who's interested.

Cheers