RE: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVMbased

To: "Ligesh" <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVMbased images.
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:20:18 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:22:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  With LVMs the only issue is in setting it up. You will need
> do some jumping through hoops to get / on the LVM. But after
> that it is as flexible, and sometimes even easier to manage
> than plain files. So given that they are similar in terms of
> all other functionalities, to me it makes sense to use LVMs,
> since the performance improvement for LVMs comes without any
> other drawbacks.

I totally agree. To make life easier for myself configuration-wise I
have '/' and all other dom0 stuff on a normal SCSI (RAID) block device.
domUs are however served from other (logical) disks managed by LVM as a
single volume group.

sc31:~# df -h
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2      12G  1,5G  9,1G  14% /
tmpfs                  65M     0   65M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1     250M   31M  206M  13% /boot
/dev/cciss/c0d0p7      45G   33M   43G   1% /home
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3     7,4G   33M  7,0G   1% /tmp
/dev/cciss/c0d1p1      67G   39G   26G  61% /home/xen/staging
sc31:~# vgs
  VG       #PV #LV #SN Attr  VSize   VFree
  vm-disks   1  20   0 wz--n 136,72G 11,23G
sc31:~#

Cheers
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark