RE: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVM base

To: "Ligesh" <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: Differences in performance between file and LVM based images.
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:52:13 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:54:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Probably yes. How much? Don't know.

But I was more referring to the fact that different applications do
different things to disks in the first place, so the application
behaviour may depend on "seek time" or "write time" or "read time" in
different proportions [1], so just using "hdparm" or something like that
wouldn't really be a useful measure of how some particular application
will perform on any given setup.

If you do make some measurements to compare different setups
(preferrably with some different benchmarks that all depend on disk
performance), I'd be very interested to see the results.

Note also that there is a new interface for file-based IO called blktap,
which I believe is a bit better than the old style block device backend
driver...

--
Mats