[Xen-users] AM2 Motherboard Hardware Recommendations

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] AM2 Motherboard Hardware Recommendations
From: higgers <hpq8bfr.mailing.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:40:53 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:41:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I've recently persuaded one of my colleagues to buy my old Athlon XP 3000+
system that I use for running XEN.  (Sucker! :-))  I'd like to replace it with
an AM2 system so that I can do some experimentation with fully virtualised
systems (Windows 2003, OpenBSD, etc.)  Has anyone got any hardware
recommendations for AM2 motherboards that they've used successfully with Xen?
I'm going to pair it with a 3800+ X2 as they've plummetted in price since
Intel announced their Core 2 Duo processors.  Hurrah for competition! :-)

Also, what's the performance on the forcedeth network drivers for the NV5
chipset like?  Can you get anywhere near gigabit speeds?  I saw some benches a
few weeks ago that put the broadcom chips as the best performing network
chipsets under Linux.  However, I've not seen any Am2 motherboards with
onboard broadcom network controllers.

Cheers,

Steve.