Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to make an exact copy of the VPS

To: "Matthew Palmer" <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to make an exact copy of the VPS
From: "abhishek jain" <mail@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:08:01 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:38:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Actually i have a running VPS of whose i have root access only and not the main server access where the VPS is hosted, ad i have another server where i want to clone the VPS. Pl. tell me how can i clone the VPS in the running state, can i just copy all the files and will it be work.

Also i have plesk installed on the server where i want to create VPSes. Do  i need to stop plesk before or after the installation/creation of VPS.
Thanks,
Abhishek jain

On 5/15/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:31:52AM +0530, abhishek jain wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> I need to
> 1)Install XEN will i get a Control panel for mine clients

You can install one if you like.

> 2) make an exact copy of the VPS from old to new IPs. Tell me how to do so.

In a running state or otherwise?  Running you'll probably have some
problems, but if you just want to clone an install, just duplicate the block
devices and copy the data across while the source domain isn't running.
Then modify the data to change the IP address, and it's all good.

> 3)Also can anyone point me to articles relating with the difference between
> OpenVZ and Xen based VPS., I need to know which is best, in terms of which
> can be installed easily,control panel for the client and ease to use/operate
> and system resources etc.

<shrug>  Never used OpenVZ, have no desire ever to do so.  There's a control
panel for Xen, called Argo, but I've never used it.

- Matt