Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest)
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 06:48:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 04:50:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 08 May 2006 2:54 am, Joost van den Broek wrote:
> Indeed, this would be very nice. So until there are paravirtualized
> drivers, the performance won't get as good as VMware? I'm currently
> installing a new server and yet not decided to go with Xen or Vservers +
> VMware Server (beta). Last one seems to have very good performance, but I'd
> rather use Xen instead.

i haven't compared performance, as i still don't have any VT-capable hardware
(and won't for several months more).  in fact, that's my biggest obstacle to
using all Xen.  still, your performance numbers are too low, i don't think
that's all you should get.

> Though, the Windows (2003 Web Server) will not be very busy (for now) so it
> might be worth using it for the time being, until stuff gets optimized. My
> only concern is if the current HVM image will work with upcoming features,
> such as paravirtualized drivers..

i guess it should;  the usage scenario for paravirtualized drivers (when and
if they're implemented) is to first install windows on a fully virtualized
hardware and after that installing an 'enhancement pack' with drivers for HD
and network that can detect the Xen hypervisor underneath, and optimize for
that.

--
Javier