Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003 guest)
From: Joost van den Broek <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:54:16 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 02:57:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 8 May 2006 04:33, Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Sunday 07 May 2006 6:11 pm, Andy Clayton wrote:
> > If there is interest in a patch with LBA48 stuff ported over I can post
> > it.  I am not sure about DMA, but LBA48 falls in easily and seems to
> > work fine.
>
> i would vote for this.  this is one reason (not the only, unfortunately)
> why i'm still deploying VMWare. hoping to move all to Xen someday.
> having LBA48 would be one step forward for this.
>
> (still, it would be even better to have paravirtualized HD drivers for
> windows)

Indeed, this would be very nice. So until there are paravirtualized drivers,
the performance won't get as good as VMware? I'm currently installing a new
server and yet not decided to go with Xen or Vservers + VMware Server
(beta). Last one seems to have very good performance, but I'd rather use
Xen instead.

Though, the Windows (2003 Web Server) will not be very busy (for now) so it
might be worth using it for the time being, until stuff gets optimized. My
only concern is if the current HVM image will work with upcoming features,
such as paravirtualized drivers..

- Joost