RE: [Xen-users] Performance issues

To: "Stephan Austermühle" <au@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Performance issues
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:24:58 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:30:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I haven't got any benchmarks, but I don't think the results you're seeing are
completely unreasonable.

The benchmarks that you've choosen are VERY file-intensive, and any delay in
delivering the file-data to the compiler (etc.) would show up "at the bottom
line". File-reads, for example, will have to pass from DomU to Dom0, where the
actual read of the hard-disk is performed, and then passed back to DomU. These
extra steps, whilst individually not huge, will add to the total time.

I agree with Randy, to see how much overhead is Xen "just being there", and how
much is emulating the hard-disk interface in DomU, you could run the compile in
Dom0.

Also, whilst it's great that you run 512MB for native Linux, but I'd be
surprised if the disk-caching in Dom0 is quite as effective as it could be -
maybe you'd get better results (for this particular type of benchmark) if you
gave another lot of memory to the Dom0 and took it away from DomU (even better,
give some more to Dom0 without taking it away from DomU!).

Any free memory in Linux is used for Disk Caching, and most of the time, the
compiler will not use up 512MB (not even 4 compiles at the same time, unless
you have HUGE C-files with large functions).

--
Mats