Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] xen hg tree from yesterday hangs, when k

To: Jussi Hamalainen <Jussi.Hamalainen@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] xen hg tree from yesterday hangs, when kernel console is directed to ttyS0
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:04:05 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hans-Christian Armingeon <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:04:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 19 Mar 2006, at 15:10, Jussi Hamalainen wrote:

When I reboot my system with xen with the following options to xen
and vmlinuz,

xen.gz com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga
vmlinuz console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0

the system hangs up while booting the dom0 kernel.

I think Xen has a major buffering/blocking IO issue with serial
console. It works for a while but when loads of lines get
flooded onto the console, the system freezes up. Adding a
"sync_console" to your Xen parameters might solve the problem, or at
least it worked for me.

Maybe it's hardware specific. I can echo a long string to the serial console in a tight loop from dom0 shell and I see no problems. My setup is similar to the OP's (115200 baud).

 -- Keir