Re: [Xen-users] Debian packages for xen3 + kernel images for dom0/U

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2006 23:58 schrieb prosolutions@xxxxxxx:
> Here's some more feedback - I watched the bootup process more carefully
> and the last line I saw before it blanked out was
>
> XFS....
>
> does this kernel have XFS support?

of course... but as module, so you need the initrd or your system will not be
able to mount the root filesystem:

~$ cat /boot/config-2.6.12.6-xen |grep XFS
# XFS support
CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
CONFIG_XFS_EXPORT=y
CONFIG_XFS_RT=y
CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_XFS_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_VXFS_FS=m

> Another question: do you know about this:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/DebianSarge   specifically, about the
> libc6-i686 issue:
>
> "Debian sarge comes with glibc-2.3.2 and gcc-3.3. The latter doesn't
> know yet the -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs option recommended in
> XenSpecificGlibc. But the good news: I've just tried to build a
> libc6-i686 with only the patch but without the option, and it seems to
> work nice! (no warnings, NPTL working)"
>
> I did install his version of it using the following in my sources.list:
>
> #modified libc6-i686 for use with Xen
> deb http://www.hodek.net/debian/ sarge roman/

I never used this libc6 version mentioned in the wiki, so I don't know if is
really working and compatible to xen3 and/or my packages...

I will test them tomorrow, I didn't saw that on the xen wiki till now, must be
new :)

but if you want to be sure, reinstall the orig. libc6, mv /lib/tls
to /lib/tls.disabled and reboot your machine with the xen hypervisor&kernel.
If it crashes again at the same moment, then it is probably not a problem
related to that libc6 package. But I guess the libc6 isn't problem anyway,
because your crash seems to happen before the rootfs is even mounted.

> At this point what I would like to do is install your deb sources and
> change some kernel config options.  If you need someone who is willing
> to spend time and devote CPU resources to compiling kernels I volunteer.
> Maybe we can create a generic 386, 686, and SMP versions.  I would like
> to build kernels supporting the maximum set of hardware possible.

put the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list:
 deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen3 ./

then "apt-get update; apt-get source linux-xen0-2.6" and change to
"linux-xen0-2.6" then.

now edit "debian/rules" and see if you want to change something, maybe the
MAINTAINER or PAE option.

then run "debian/rules build"... this will not build the kernel, but will
download & patch the kernel source as well as building the default config.

if you want to change the kernel config, change dir to "linux-2.6.12"  and
run: "make ARCH=xen menuconfig", change what you want to change and then
"cd .." again.

now it's time to compile the kernel and package it... run "debian/rules
install" for that.

your done... for now my source package for the kernel is more or less a hack,
but working. I will make it more eleganter if I have to for it.

compiling xen is even easier (but needs more installed packages, because of
dependencies).... compiling is easy as:

"apt-get source xen"
"cd xen-3.0.0"
"dpkg-buildpackage -b"