[Xen-users] Debian packages for xen3 + kernel images for dom0/U

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Debian packages for xen3 + kernel images for dom0/U
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:46:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:53:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I just wanted to let all interessted debian users know, that on my xen3
repository are now kernel images available for dom0/U.

My Xen3 packages are using the latest xen3-testing (changeset 8269) and are
available for sid, sarge & etch as well as for 32bit, 32bit-pae and 64bit.
The kernel image is 2.6.12.6-xen with a std. xen config.

So there is no reason for compiling your own kernel on a debian system
anymore, unless you need something very special. For such a case there is a
"linux-patch-xen" package which applies to a vanilla 2.6.12 source tree (and
converts it to a 2.6.12.6-xen).

If someone wants to use the new packages, please add the following two lines
to /etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb http://packages.debianbase.de/<DISTRO>/<ARCH>/xen3 ./
 deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen3 ./

If you need 32bit + PAE instead, use the following two lines:

 deb http://packages.debianbase.de/<DISTRO>/<ARCH>/xen3-pae ./
 deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen3-pae ./

(Please always repleace <DISTRO> with either sid, sarge or etch and <ARCH>
with i386 or amd64.)

After adding the lines to sources.list xen3 + kernel is installable with the
following commands:

 apt-get update
 apt-get install xen linux-xen0-2.6

After that is completed only the initrd needs to be created and the grub's
menu.lst needs an entry for booting the new kernel.

the "linux-xen0-2.6" package will give instructions upon installation on how
to build a initrd and how to change the grub config.

If there is something not working as expected, please let me know... Feedback
is always appreciated.

Some instructions on how to compile your own xen kernel with debian is
available here: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/320
(thanks to Steve Kemp)

--Ralph

P.s.:
My Version "tha11" now uses the Xen 3.0-testing upstream, all versions before
used xen 3.0.0.

If someone upgrades from <= tha11 to the recent package there is a mismatch
between the old self compiled xen kernel and the hypervisor (now using
xen3-testing). In this case, please compile a new kernel with an updated
"linux-patch-xen" package (>= tha11) or simply switch to use linux-xen0-2.6
as kernel (which will always matches the hypervisor).

For more information what changed in each xen3 package, see the packages
changelog.