FW: [Xen-users] Memory management questions

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: [Xen-users] Memory management questions
From: "Satoshi Uchida" <s-uchida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:13:15 +0900
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:19:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

In my opinion, mem-max is not process correctly.
And information of xm top (xentop) and of XendDomainInfo is not
correspond correctly.

Actually, I seem that restriction of memory in xen handle pfn and pages
variables (ex. max_pfn, max_pages), but XendDomainInfo handles its local
variables with memory information.
xm list shows XenDomainInfo information and xmtop shows actual memory
informations.

xm mem-set and mem-max process renew of XenDomainInfo, and therefore
handle actual memory information.
In the case that memory modification is not possible, latter process
checks and restricts.
Therefore, information between xm list and xm top becomes different
information.
(Mem information in xm list is corresponded to requested target.)

When domain is initialized (started up), memory attribute secure needed
memory and memmax attribute is setup restriction and extra mem attribute
arranges balloon memory.
However, first restriction decide memory and memmax attributes, and
balloon secure by memory attributes, so mem-max reflects correctly.
It is nearly to memory attributes.
After domain waked up, new restriction changes by xm mem-max command.

So, memory information in xm list is not correctly, but show your
request.

Of course, it is necessary to fix this non-correspondence.

Satoshi Uchida