RE: [Xen-users] DomU Oopsing on xen-3.0-testing changeset 8259

To: "Charles Duffy" <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] DomU Oopsing on xen-3.0-testing changeset 8259
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:44:47 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:48:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> One of my DomUs is sporadically oopsing, roughly once per
> day. This was first observed on a pre-3.0-release changeset;
> after upgrading to changeset 8259 on the xen-3.0-testing
> branch (after the release), it still occurs.

There's just not very much to go on picking appart this oops.

It looks like things are blowing up deep in the bowels of the kernel
while running delivering a signal to some java app. I've certainly not
seen anything like this, depsite doing quite a bit of java testing.

Please can you give more details of what jvm you're using, and what the
application is doing.

Better, can you try and recreate a way of repro'ing the bug on demand?

> This effectively kills the instance when it occurs -- worse,
> the instance in question *stays* down even though panic=5 is
> specified as an extra parameter to be passed to the DomU kernel.

This is probably easier to fix -- I seem to recall a patch going into
the merge tree recently that made the panic behaviour on x86_64 xen the
same as native.

> The text of the oops is attached, as are my kernel configs
> (which are a touch nonstandard).

Hmm, can you reproduce with one of our configs? (Or at least post the
minimal diff from ours).

Ian